Carlisle & Son Funeral Chapel has served the surrounding communities since the early 1890’s. Frank E. Carlisle began in funeral service by purchasing an interest in the J.H. Rusie Furniture and Undertaking business.
In 1895, with partner Daniel Gilbert, Frank purchased a storefront in downtown Mooresville (the building is currently occupied by the Harris & Currens Law Office). After one year, he purchased Gilbert's interest and began conducting business under his own name. Frank’s son, Milford E. Carlisle, joined the business in 1929 shortly after his father’s death.
In 1949 the funeral home moved to its present location of 39 East High Street. In 1952, after his service in the Marine Corp during the Korean War, Milford’s son, George E. Carlisle, joined the firm. George’s son, Samuel E. Carlisle, joined the firm in 1988 after graduation from Ball State University and Mid America College of Mortuary Science. Sam owned and operated the business until January of 2007, when Sam sold the business to Chris and Mary Beth Branson.
The facilities of Carlisle & Son Funeral Chapel have changed over time to meet the needs of the community it serves. Even the name has changed. But not the quality of service or commitment of the owners.
Chris and Mary Beth find pride and privilege providing personalized care to the families they serve. In December of 2010, Chris and Mary Beth Branson opened the first crematory in Morgan County to better serve the families who request our services.